The Fourth is almost here! It is a sad truth but more pets go missing due to fireworks anxiety than any other holiday. Feel out of options? Not sure what to do? That is why we are here!
Whether it is just changing your routine, bringing them in the house, or using calming medication, there are lots of options for this issue!
Here is a quick & easy list of some strategies to calm your pet’s fireworks fear:
- Bring them inside the garage or inside your home.
- This seems almost obvious, but seeing that bright flash from a firework is almost as scary as hearing it to your pet.
- Find them a safe place to hide whether it be a closet or under the bed.
- Providing that cozy space gives them a place to feel secure.
- Play TV or other background noise to lessen the volume of the fireworks.
- Pet them and soothe them: Your animals feel much calmer when you are calm.
- Relaxation medications: Some pets are so severely affected that they need some pharmaceutical help. That is completely okay and their friends will not make fun of them! We have a variety of safe, effective calming medications that we use all the time for noise phobias like this.