HAPPY HALLOWEEN! Tonight will be such a blast! All the candy, the costumes, and a little bit of chaos! While it is fun for us, it is usually a little scary for our pets. Here are some tips to keeping your furry friends comfortable this Halloween!
KEEP YOUR PETS INSIDE
With all the hustle and bustle, our pets can easily get overwhelmed. The door bells ringing all night alone sends most of our dogs in a tizzy. All the yells of, “Trick or Treat!” and squeals of delight can stress out even the calmest of pets.
We highly recommend making them a nice, cozy place away from the noise. Whether that is a nest of blankets in your closet or moving their kennel to a back bedroom, it will help them stay calm and cozy.
CANDY & CANDY WRAPPERS ARE NOT SAFE FOR PETS
We all know that chocolate is bad for dogs, but it depends on how much they eat! A hershey’s kiss may not be a huge deal to a golden retriever, but it is to that chihuahua puppy. See above for a link to a great calculator that tells you when it is time to call the vet if your dog or cat gets into the goodies.
Other kinds of treats can be toxic too! Raisins are very toxic to pets and other sweet treats like caramel and nougat call can some pretty intense tummy upset. If you see the following symptoms, please call the vet:
- Not wanting to eat or drink
- Bloated abdomen
DON’T LET THEM EAT NOT-FOOD STUFF EITHER
Everything smells like candy on Halloween! The bowl the candy was in, the bag you collected it in, etc. Please be aware that your pets might chew on things that just smell like candy. If you see any of the symptoms listed above, it is time to call the vet!